#### #### #### ### #### #### #### # #### # # # # # # # # # # # # # #### ### #### # # #### ### # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #### # # ### # #### #### # #### Personal operating system
This webpage contains all Peropesis Linux operating system project news.
The contribution idea by developing Peropesis user manual and by using git for that reason was turned off. Reason is, there has been no one contributions in several months. User manual survives an open HTML document as before the idea of a contribution via git. You may copy, distribute and modify it following Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International, (CC BY-SA 4.0) license terms.
Peropesis 2.2 Linux OS is released. In the new edition part of the old software was updated and a few new packages was installed. The newly installed tools are mainly intended for software development purposes.
New software installed:
1. bison 3.8.2. GNU bison, is a parser generator, that generates LALR parsers. It can also generate canonical LR, IELR and GLR parsers.
2. gettext 0.22. GNU gettext is a software package, that containing tools, that commonly used for writing multilingual programs.
3. gperf 3.1. GNU gperf is a program that generates perfect hash functions for sets of key words.
4. texinfo 7.0.3. The GNU texinfo software package contains programs for writing, reading and converting info pages. Note. In the Peropesis 2.2 filesystem there is not distributed the GNU software documentation, available as info pages (/usr/share/info).
5. linux GPU drivers (drivers/gpu). These drivers are designed to serve for graphics processing units.
Updated software: binutils 2.41, coreutils 9.4, dhcpcd 10.0.2, diffutils 3.10, eudev 3.2.12, file 5.45, gawk 5.2.2, gcc 13.2.0, glibc 2.38, gmp 6.3.0, grep 3.11, gzip 1.13, iana-etc 20230907, iw 5.19, kbd 2.6.2, krb5 1.21.2, less 643, libcap 2.69, libffi 3.4.4, linux 6.5.3, linux-firmware 20230804, mpfr 4.2.1, =openssl 3.1.2, perl 5.38, screen 4.9.1, sqlite 3.43.1, sysvinit 3.08, tar 1.35, util-linux 2.39.2, wget 1.21.4, wireless-regdb-master 2023-09-01, xz 5.4.4, zlib 1.3.
All software distributed in the Peropesis Linux distribution is listed on the bundle page.
Volume of the Peropesis 2.2 is 229 MB. The latest release can be downloaded from here.
A new chapter, Installing new software, was created in the user manual. This chapter contains instructions for installing new software on the Peropesis root file system from the source code.
The user manual source code was placed in a public git repository. If you want to get a user manual code so that you can send corrections, you can clone the latest version using git: 'git clone git://repo.or.cz/peropesis-user-manual.git'. If you need 'push' rights, write about it in the forum or by e-mail so that your username could be added to the repository list. Thanks repo.or.cz for hosting.
Peropesis 2.1 Linux OS is released. In the new edition part of the old software was updated and several new packages was installed. Most newly installed packages consist of tools assigned to the GNU Autotools category and additional equipment needed to keep these tools running smoothly. The perl language interpreter and compressors lzip and zstd was also installed in the new edition.
New software installed:
1. automake 1.16.5. GNU Automake is a tool for automatically generating 'Makefile.in' files from 'Makefile.am' files. The generated 'Makefile.in' may be used by configure scripts to generate a working 'Makefile'. Automake is written in perl and must be used with GNU Autoconf.
2. autoconf 2.71. GNU Autoconf is a tool for generating a configuration script from a TEMPLATE-FILE if given, or 'configure.ac' if present, or else 'configure.in'. The instructions in these files are written in the M4 language, so producing configuration scripts using Autoconf requires GNU M4.
3. M4 1.4.19. GNU m4 is a macro processor. It is used process macros in files.
4. libtool 2.4.7. GNU libtool is a shell script, which provide generalized library-building support services. Libtool is used by Autoconf and Automake tools.
5. pkg-config 0.29.2. The pkg-config program is used to retrieve information about installed libraries in the system (during compilation) for the purpose of compiling software that depends on them.
6. diffutils 3.9. GNU Diffutils is a package of several programs related to finding differences between files.
7. perl 5.36.1. Perl is a highly capable, feature-rich programming language. The installed perl 5.36.1 package includes Perl 5 language interpreter, modules, libraries and detailed documentation.
8. zstd 1.5.5. zstd is a fast lossless compression algorithm and data compression tool, with command line syntax similar to gzip and xz.
9. lzip 1.23. Lzip is a lossless data compressor with a user interface similar to the one of gzip or bzip2. The following compressors are currently installed on the Peropesis system without lzip: gzip, xz, bzip2 and zstd.
Note. The make program that is responsible for the automatic compilation process and that follows the scripts created by the GNU Autotools tools was installed in previous release of Peropesis.
Updated software: corelutils 9.3, e2fsprogs 1.47.0, elfutils 0.189, glibc 2.37, grep 3.10, guile 3.0.9, iana-etc 20230418, krb5 1.20.1, libcap 2.68, links 2.29, linux 6.3.0, linux-firmware 20230404, lzlib 1.13, make 4.4.1, openssl 3.1.0, procps-ng 4.0.3, sqlite 3.41.2, wireless-regdb-master 2023-02-13, xz 5.4.2.
All software distributed in the Peropesis distribution is listed on the bundle page.
Screenshot: perl interpreter. Volume of the Peropesis 2.1 is 205 MB. The latest release can be downloaded from here.
New chapter Screen manager - screen was created in the user manual. Some basic examples of using the screen command is presented in this chapter.
A new 2.0 release of Peropesis Linux OS released. In the new edition, part of the old software was updated and several new packages was installed. The tool Make, which controls the automatic installation of software from the source code, was installed. Database management system SQLite, command-line based editor nano and terminal emulator/multiplexer Screen were also installed.
New software installed:
1. sqlite 3.40.1. Sqlite – a relational database management system that allows the user to define, create, maintain and manage data in simple files (databases) using the sqlite3 command line interface or your own interfaces in C/C++ or other programming languages.
2. libedit 20221030 3.1. libedit is a library that provides command line editing, retrospection and markup functions.
3. screen 4.9.0. Screen is a screen manager that allows users to multiply the virtual console screen several times and allows users to copy and paste text between screens.
4. libutempter 1.2.1. "The libutempter library provides interface for terminal emulators such as screen and xterm to record user sessions to utmp and wtmp files".
5. make 4.4. Make is a tool, which controls the automatic installation of software from the source code.
6. gawk 5.2.1. gwak is a template scanning and processing language for data reformatting tasks.
7. GC 8.2.2. GC – "the Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative garbage collector can be used as a garbage collecting replacement for C malloc or C++ new".
8. libffi 3.4.3. libbfi is a library, which is useful to build a bridge between interpreted and natively compiled code.
9. libguile-3.0.so.1.5.0 library from GNU Guile 3.0.8 software package.
10. nano 7.2. GNU nano is a command-line based editor with a convenient and simple working environment.
11. Several additional programs (ftp, talk, telnet, tftp, traceroute) have been pre-installed from the inetutils 2.4 software package.
Updated software: bash 5.2.15, binutils 2.40, ed 1.19, file 5.44, libpsl 0.21.2, man-db 2.11.2, MPC 1.3.1, ncurses 6.4, pcre2 10.42, psmisc 23.6, sysvinit 3.06, xz 5.4.1.
List of all software distributed in Peropesis 2.0 is here.
Screenshot: multiplexer Screen. The volume of the Peropesis 2.0 is 185 MB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. The following new sections have been created in the user manual: Command-line interface (CLI), Shell commands and scripts, Edit command-line, Virtual console.
2. Chapter „Directory /usr/share/doc“ has been removed from the user manual. In release of Peropesis 1.9, the usage and installation documentation that comes with the software is no longer distributed, so the section about it is no longer relevant.
In the Peropesis 1.9 edition, the ability to set the system language, region and the ability to read and write text content in your native language was implemented (Note. Only a few languages of European countries have been tested). For this reason, the GNU C Library software package was fully installed and the KBD software package was newly installed. New chapters locale, terminal font and keyboard map was created in the user manual to discuss the nuances of managing the new equipment. Also in release 1.9 a full-featured terminal-based and ncurses-based text editor, JOE, was installed.
New software installed:
1. JOE 4.6. JOE is a terminal-based and ncurses-based text editor for Unix-based systems.
2. KBD 2.5.1. The KBD software package provides tools for managing screen fonts and keyboard maps directly from a terminal.
3. Libseccomp 2.5.4. "The libseccomp library provides an easy to use, platform independent, interface to the Linux Kernel's syscall filtering mechanism."
Updated software: bash 5.2; elfutils 0.188; file 5.43; iana-etc 20221209; inetutils 2.4; libcap 2.66; libidn2 2.3.4; libpipeline 1.5.7; links 2.28; linux-firmware 20221109; man-db 2.11.1; mpfr 4.1.1; openssl 3.0.7; procps-ng 4.0.2; readline 8.2; sed 4.9; shadow 4.13; xz 5.2.7; zlib 1.2.13.
Software packages that have not been fully distributed in the distribution so far, but in the 1.9 release they started to be distributed in full: acl 2.3.1; attr 2.5.1; bash 5.2; brotli 1.0.9; e2fsprogs 1.46.5; glibc 2.36; gmp 2.61; groff 1.22.4; less 608; libnl 3.7.0; libunistring 1.0; ncurses 6.3; net-tools 2.10; openssl 3.0.7; pcre2 10.40; psmisc 23.5; readline 8.2.
List of all software distributed in Peropesis here.
Bugs fixed and aliases written (thanks to those who contributed):
1. In the Peropesis 1.9 release, the functionality of the mandb and su programs was restored.
2. Several permanent aliases was defined in the filesystem /etc/profile file for convenience.
Screenshot: poem "Ode to Joy" written in German with JOE editor. The volume of the Peropesis 1.9 is 181 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
Two new chapters have been added to the user manual:
1. Peropesis live booting by using virtual machine, VirtualBox (CLI).
2. Loading of required firmware.
The Peropesis Linux OS project continues the odyssey in other sources:
1. Peropesis 1.8 live ISO image became available to download using the BitTorrent protocol. This feature was created by Linuxtracker. Linuxtracker is the biggest Linux Bittorrent repository on the web.
2. The Peropesis Linux OS project has also been added to the OS.watch database. OS.watch is a directory of Operating Systems.
In the Peropesis 1.8 release, the GNU gcc and g++ compilers with the infrastructure they need were installed.
New software installed:
1. GNU Binutils 2.39. Binutils are a set of programming tools for creating and managing binary programs, object files, libraries, profile data, and assembly source code.
2. GNU GCC 12.2.0. GNU Compiler Collection is a compilers suite that supports many languages, such as ada, c, c++, d, fortran, go, lto, objc, obj-c++.
3. GNU GMP 6.2.1. GNU MP is a library for arbitrary precision arithmetic, operating on signed integers, rational numbers, and floating point numbers.
4. ISL 0.24. isl is a thread-safe C library for manipulating sets and relations of integer points bounded by affine constraints.
5. GNU MPC 1.2.1. GNU MPC is a C library for the arithmetic of complex numbers with arbitrarily high precision and correct rounding of the result.
5. GNU MPFR 4.1.0. The MPFR library is a C library for multiple-precision floating-point computations with correct rounding.
6. Also libelf-0.187.so and libdebuginfod-0.187.so libraries from elfutils 0.187 software package and libfl.so.2.0.0 library from flex 2.6.4 software package were added.
Updated Linux kernel (6.0.2 v.). List of all software distributed in Peropesis is here.
For optimum reasons the /usr directory belonging to the Peropesis root filesystem was squashed into an independent Squash filesystem. The squash filesystem was placed as a file in the Peropesis ISO image (a detailed Peropesis ISO image plan is provided in the user manual). Every time after loading the Peropesis root filesystem (in this case, it is initramfs) into memory, the Squash filesystem is automatically mounted in the /usr directory by using the Overlay filesystem type. The mounting script is placed in the /etc/init.d/mount_usr rc file.
A couple of screenshots: gcc hello.c, g++ hello.cpp. The volume of the Peropesis 1.8 is 156 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. The S-nail chapter was updated. Using external email programs, from now on Gmail can only be accessed using a temporary 16-digit App password. More about this here.
2. The file search section was updated and expanded. The new Peropesis 1.7 release introduced the ability to search for files using program locate.
The Peropesis Linux project is moving forward in small steps, new edition 1.7 released. In the new edition part of the existing software was updated and new software was added. Thanks to the newly added software, the Peropesis operating system now has the ability to download files from the Internet using the wget tool. It also became possible to store multiple files in archive, and extract archived and compressed files using tools such as tar, gzip, xz and bzip2.
coreutils 9.1; file 5.42; findutils 4.9.0; glibc 2.36; grep 3.8; inetutils 2.3; kmod 30; krb5 1.20; less 608; libcap 2.65; libidn2 2.3.3; libnl 3.7.0; libpipeline 1.5.6; links 2.27; linux 5.19.8; man-db 2.10.2; psmisc 23.5; s-nail 14.9.24; shadow 4.12.3; sysvinit 3.04; util-linux 2.38.1; wireless-regdb-master 2022-08-12; xz 5.26; zstd 1.5.2.
New software installed:
1. tar 1.34. GNU tar is an archiving program designed to store multiple files in an archive, and to manipulate such archives.
2. gzip 1.12. GNU gzip is a program designed for compress or expand files.
3. wget 1.21.3. GNU Wget is a free utility for non-interactive download of files from the Web.
4. llibpsl.so.5.3.3. library added from the libpsl 0.21.1 software package.
5. libpcre.so library that is part of PCRE 8.45 software package was removed, instead, a libpcre2-8.so.0.11.0 library from the PCRE2 10.40 software package was added.
6. Until now, not full packages distributed in the Peropesis distribution - bzip2, coreutils, file, findutils, util-linux and xz - was included in full in the latest release of the Peropesis distribution. List of all software distributed in Peropesis here.
7. Additional firmware (atmel, rsi, rtl_bt, rtl_nic, rtw88, rtw89) from the linux-firmware-20220310 package was included. This firmware is responsible for controlling some popular hardware. It should be noted, that the firmware you need can be installed in the Peropesis system independently using tools such as dmesg, grep, wget, tar, lsmod and modprobe.
Finally, the Peropesis 1.7 release contains and newer releases will distribute only the man pages of the software that actually exists in the distribution.
Few screenshot: bzip2, gzip, xz, tar, wget. The volume of the Peropesis 1.7 is 102 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. A new section about Peropesis live ISO image was created in the user manual.
2. The Peropesis Linux OS project was added to the DistroWatch database. The Peropesis page on the DistroWatch is here. DistroWatch is a resource for discussing open source operating systems. DistroWatch publishes lists of operating systems belonging to the Linux and BSD families. Also DistroWatch ranks operating systems and publishes Linux, BSD and other types of news.
[Note: 2022-09-25 link was deleted, DistroTest project no longer exist.]
There is an opportunity to run the Peropesis 1.6.2 on your internet browser through DistroTest, without having any bootable USB drive or virtual machines in your computer. DistroTest is online operating system tester. Project listed many Linux and BSD distributions and uses QEMU virtualizer to run them up.
1. Updated software: program bash from bash 5.1.16 software package; library libgdbm.so.6.0.0 from gdbm 1.23 software package; glibc 2.35 software package; iana-etc 20220325 software package; library libsigsegv.so.2.0.7 from libsigsegv 2.14 software package; Linux kernel from Linux 5.17.1; rtlwifi drivers from linux-firmware 20220310 software package; program ps and library libproc-2.so.0.0.0 from procps-ng 4.0.0 software package; programs halt, init, shutdown, killall5, pidof from sysvinit 3.02 software package; programs mkfs, fdisk, agetty, swapon, hwclock, kill, mount, umount, dmesg, lsblk, cal, lscpu, whereis and libraries from util-linux 2.38 software package; wpa_supplicant 2.10 software package; library libz.so.1.2.12 from zlib 1.2.12 software package.
2. The Linux wireless regulatory database regulatory.db was added from wireless-regdb-master 2022-02-18 software package. Regulatory.db is the file used by the Linux wireless subsystem to keep its regulatory database information.
The volume of the Peropesis 1.6.1 is 86 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
This release created the capability to send and receive email via externals SMTP/IMAP servers by using S-nail email client.
1. Software package S-nail (v. 14.9.23) was added. S-nail is a command-line email client, that provides a simple and friendly environment for sending and receiving email.
2. The libgssapi_krb5.so.2.2, libkrb5.so.3.3, libk5crypto.so.3.1 and libkrb5support.so.0.1 libraries from the Kerberos software package (v. 1.19.2) was added.
3. The libidn.so.12.6.1 librarie from the Libidn2 software package (v. 2.3.2) was added.
4. The libcom_err.so.2.1 librarie from the e2fsprogs software package (v. 1.46.5) was added. Also updated e2fsck, fsck and mke2fs programs, that already included in the Peropesis distribution.
5. The libkeyutils.so.1.9 librarie from the Keyutils software package (v. 1.6.1) was added.
6. The libunistring.so.2.2.0 librarie from the Libunistring software package (v. 1.0) was added.
7. root certificate of a Certificate Authority (CA) was added.
8. The program ed (v. 1.18) was added. GNU ed is a line-oriented text editor.
9. The S-nail email client chapter has been created in the User manual.
Few screenshot: command help, S-nail send message, program S-nail. The volume of the Peropesis 1.6 is 85 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. Updated software: most programs from Coreutils 9.0 software package; lib/* (from Ncurses 6.3 software package); libcap.so.2.62 (from Libcap 2.62); login, su, groups, nologin, passwd, groupadd, groupdel, useradd, userdel, usermod (from Shadow 4.11.1); libmagic.so.1.0.0 (from File 5.41); libpipeline.so.1.5.5 (from Libpipeline 1.5.5); libcrypto.so.1.1, libssl.so.1.1 (from Openssl 1.1.1m); dhcpcd 9.4.1; libzstd.so.1.5.1 (from Zstd 1.5.1).
2. Programs whois, ping, ping6 was added from Coreutils 9.0 software package. Program whois searches for an object in a RFC 3912 database. Programs ping and ping6 is used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network.
3. Clear program was added from Ncurses 6.3 software package. Program clear - clear the terminal screen.
4. Programs cal, lscpu, whereis was added from Util-linux 2.37.2. Program cal - display a calendar; lscpu - display information about the CPU architecture; whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command.
5. Program ldd was added from GNU C Library 2.34. Program ldd - print shared object dependencies.
6. Program find was added from Findutils 4.8.0. Program find - search for files in a directory hierarchy.
7. The Searching for files chapter has been created in the User manual.
Few screenshot: program cal, program find, program ping, program whereis, program whois.
The volume of the Peropesis 1.5.1 is 82 MiB. With the new Peropesis 1.5.1 edition, there was an opportunity to check MD5 (128-bit) checksums. Peropesis new edition and md5sum files can be downloaded from here.
This release created the capability to connect wirelessly to an Internet network. New software has been added to the Peropesis Linux distribution for this purpose. Additional Wireless chapter was created in the User manual, to discuss, how to use this newly installed equipment. Completed works:
1. The iw 5.9 program was added. iw - show / manipulate wireless devices and their configuration.
2. The wpa_supplicant 2.9 software package was added. wpa_supplicant - Wi-Fi Protected Access client and IEEE 802.1X supplicant.
3. The libnl-3.so.200.26.0 and libnl-genl-3.so.200.26.0 libraries from the libnl 3.5.0 software package was added. These Netlink libraries used by iw and wpa_supplicant package programs.
4. The Linux 5.14.9 kernel has been recompiled additionally including /net modules.
5. The Linux-firmware, rtlwifi, package was added.
6. The Wireless chapter has been created in the User manual.
The volume of the Peropesis 1.5 is 80 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
Updated software: libacl.so.1.1.2301 (from acl 2.3.1); bash (from bash 5.1.8); e2fsck, fsck, mke2fs (from e2fsprogs 1.46.4); libstdc++.so.6.0.29, libgcc_s.so.1 (from gcc 11.2.0); libgdbm.so.6.0.0 (from gdbm 1.21); Linux kernel and modules (from linux 5.14.9); ldconfig, lib64/* (from glibc 2.34); grep egrep (from grep 3.7); iana-etc 20211001; hostname (from inetutils 2.2); less (from less 590); libcap.so.2.59 (from libcap 2.59); links (from links 2.25); libpcre.so.1.2.13 (pcre 8.45); halt, init, shutdown, killall5, pidof (from sysvinit 3.00); mkfs, fdisk, agetty, swapon, hwclock, kill, more, mount, umount, dmesg, lsblk, lib/* (from util-linux 2.37.2).
The volume of the Peropesis 1.4.1 is 66 MiB. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
A new chapter File system has been created in the User's manual. It provides an overview of the Peropesis Linux OS file system structure, discussed how to mount temporary devices in the /mnt directory and discusses how to restore a damaged Linux operating system by using the Peropesis distribution.
1. In the User manual a new, Network chapter has been created. In this chapter is discussed how to connect to network by using basic (ethernet) connection.
2. In the website a very simple Mailing list system has been installed. Mailing list is intended to notify a newly released operating system.
Updated libattr.so.1.1.2501 (from attr 2.5.1).
Updated e2fsck, fsck, mke2fs (from e2fsprogs 1.46.2).
Updated libmagic.so.1.0.0 (from file 5.40).
Updated libstdc++.so.6.0.29, libgcc_s.so.1 (from gcc 11.1.0).
Updated kmod, libkmod.so.2.3.7 (from kmod 29).
Updated less (from less 581.2).
Updated libcap.so.2.50 (from libcap 2.50).
Updated links (from links 2.23).
Updated Linux kernel and modules (from linux 5.12.9).
Updated libcrypto.so.1.1 (from openssl 1.1.1k).
Updated halt, init, shutdown, killall5, pidof (from sysvinit 2.99).
Updated libzstd.so.1.5.0 (from zstd 1.5.0).
The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. In the Peropesis Linux distribution was added usermod program. This program is for modify a users accounts. The usermod program complements the list of other programs (useradd(8), userdel(8), groupadd(8) and groupdel(8)), that were previously added to the Peropesis distribution and that are responsible for managing system users accounts. More information about these programs can be found on the man pages of these programs.
2. /etc/init.d/network initialization script was rewritten. It describes the functions of creating and deleting loopback and network interfaces and also "case" control construct of these functions. To sum up, when you type a commands: /etc/init.d/network start | stop | restart at a command line, then loopback and network (ethernet) interfaces are run, stoped or rebooted.
3. /etc/init.d/udev initialization script was replenished. Additional stop, restart and reload cases was written for udevd and udevadm programs in the script. To sum up: when you type a commands: /etc/init.d/udev start | stop | restart | reload at a command line, then programs udevd and udevadm are run, stoped, restarted or reloaded. Note: case stop - turns off udevd and udevadm programs, case start turn on these programs, case restart - do one case after another and reload case - reload the rules files and other databases like the kernel module index. More about udevadm reaload option can be read on udevadm(8) man page, udevadm control section, --reload.
4. In the Peropesis Linux distribution was added killall program. killall is part of the Psmisc software package. This program is for kill processes by name. In this case, the killall program was used in the /etc/init.d/udev script, in stop() control case, for kill udevd program. More information about this program see killall(1).
5. In the Peropesis Linux distribution was added Iana-Etc package. The Iana-Etc package provides data for network services and protocols.
No more news in this, 1.3.1 Peropesis release. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. Till now, instructions for connecting to the loaded Peropesis operating system was discussed in one sentence. By replacing it, a new, Login / Logout chapter has been created in the User manual.
2. A forum has been installed on the website. Forum is provided by my little forum. The forum is designed to discuss issues related to the use and develope of the Peropesis operating system.
How we did that:
1. Updated Linux kernel to 5.11.12 version, additional compiled net drivers.
2. Installed software package of dhcpcd. Program dhcpcd is a DHCP client. dhcpcd configures the network interface of the machine on which it is running.
3. Installed programs ifconfig and route from software package of net-tools. Program ifconfig is for configure a network interface. Program route show / manipulate the IP routing table.
4. A browser called Links has been installed (only text mode). Links is lynx-like alternative character mode WWW browser.
5. Installed required libraries for program Links, that haven't yet been included in the Peropesis distribution: lzlib, zstd, brotli, libevent.
6. Few screenshot: dhcpcd --version, Links go to URL, Links man page, Peropesis website in Links web browser.
7. The latest Peropesis release can be downloaded from here.
1. A very simple bugs logging system has been established. This system is designed to log bugs detected in the Peropesis operating system. If you notice bugs while using the Peropesis OS, you can report them through an HTML form (reference).
2. The Peropesis Linux OS project is now available at peropesis.org. The primary language of the site is english. The lithuanian Peropesis website is available at peropesis.org/lt.
1. The Syslinux bootloaders is used to boot the Peropesis operating system. Previous release of Peropesis (1.1) was only compatible with BIOS software and Isolinux bootloader was used to load the Peropesis image. Isolinux is part of Syslinux's bootloaders family. Isolinux is designed to load images from optical devices. This release includes an additional image, that uses syslinux.efi bootloader for UEFI software. Summarizing, Peropesis release 1.2 has two images and this release is compatible with both, BIOS and UEFI software. Because this release contains an additional image for UEFI equipment, its size has increased from 35 MG to 50 MG. Peropesis 1.2 release can be downloaded from here.
2. In the User Manual, in the chapter of "Booting from USB stick" information has been updated to complement this section with UEFI software features.
3. On this release root file system is compressed to xz format (instead gzip).
1. Was recompiled Linux modules by retaining only the currently required fs and usb drivers. This allows the distribution volume to be reduced from 54 MG to 35 MG.
2. Uploaded the lsblk application from the Util-Linux package. lsblk provides information about all available devices in the block by scanning it from the sysfs file system beforehand. More information about lsblk(8) on man pages.
Today starts the first release - 1.0, of the Peropesis operating system. Peropesis is a small-scale, minimalist Linux operating system. Also, it is free an operating system created from free software mostly distributed under the GNU GPL or BSD licenses.
The Peropesis project includes the operating system itself and this website. The aim of this project is to create a compact, regularly maintained, a virtually useful operating system and supply full information required for management. The name Peropesis is made up from three words, personal operating system, the first three letters of each word.
What is Linux
Linux kernel is an axis around which revolve various stand-alone applications or entire software packages that make up the Peropesis. Linux kernel controls computer operations and keep your programs running smoothly. In 1991 Linux kernel started building Linus Torvalds. Today hundreds of developers around the world are developing the Linux kernel and every day with Linux kernel created Linux operating systems is becoming increasingly popular. Linux is free software. Without Linux does not exist the Peropesis operating systems.
Each distribution is categorizes by specific characteristics. One of them is distribution dependency. Peropesis is designed from scratch by compiling software from free-to-return source code. In this case, it can be said that Peropesis there is no dependent of other distributions, it’s independent system.
About Release 1.0
This is Peropesis live edition. This edition is not intended to be written to the hard drive, but is intended for to be loaded in the computer's memory. Peropesis is compatible with 86_64-bit architecture processors.
At this moment Basic software packages or portions of them of the Peropesis distribution are: Linux kernel, GNU C Library, Bash, Coreutils, Util-linux, Shadow and other.
The volume of this distribution is approximately 50 MB. Most part (2/3) of this software consists of modules of Linux kernel and documentation (man pages and doc files).
Peropesis - it's a good way to get to know the command prompt and the most commonly found basic applications in Linux environments.
In computer memory Peropesis live OS can be booting from USB memory or using virtual machine.
This release includes the eudev software package. This means, that the system automatically identifies the connected devices (USB, SD, CD-ROM etc.).
Currently the most realistic practical use of this system it might be to recover working option of other, faulty operating system - by loading Peropesis system in the computer's memory, by mounting the current faulty system which is on the hard drive to Peropesis and by using the chroot application for restoring corrupted libraries or other essential files.
Anyone who wants to try the Peropesis Linux operating system, can download it from this site. This website also provides information on how to boot it to your computer memory and how to use basic programs included in the Peropesis distribution. You can learn more about this project at webpage About.